There are many power tool manufacturers on the market that provide some pretty top-notch products, but few that can compare to that of Bosch. The German company is known for being one of the most reliable, tough, and durable producers of power tools in the world. Starting with it’s founding in 1886 they have continued to make power tools that improve your quality of life and make work easier than ever.
This is why today we’ve decided to take a look at two of Bosch’s incredibly strong cordless power drills and compare the differences between the PS31 and PS32 models.
Before we jump into the highlights, features, and shortcomings of each, let’s start with a quick overview of cordless drills. The cordless drill operates using rechargeable batteries. These batteries just snap into place on the drill making it easy to have spares ready for when one runs out. Since they are cordless, they are ideal for job sites that require you to be mobile when power sources may not be readily available.
The cordless drill is one of the #1 must-have tools that every carpenter/construction worker must have to get the job done. It’s also one of the most used tools that every homeowner will end up reaching for when completing most DIY jobs around the house like hanging photos, building a shelf, etc. Almost everything is attached with screws, and a cordless drill makes the job a breeze.
Here is our overview of the PS31 and PS32 models from Bosch to help in your decision making between these great tools.
Comparison of Bosch PS31 vs PS32 product features
Below you’ll see an overview of each drill’s features and how they compare to each other.
Drill Press Feature Breakdown
Each of these cordless drills is strong tools with incredible features that we will break down in-depth below.
Bosch PS31 Best Features
- Compact: One of the most important aspects of this drill is its size. It’s compact and fits comfortably in one hand without needing the support of your other hand. It comes in at 2.14 pounds making it perfect for anyone to handle. With a length of just 7 inches, it also fits into many hard-to-reach places which brings a nice mobile aspect to the drill that some other models have difficulty in small areas.
- Speed: For a compact tool it still comes with quite a bit of power with 265 lbs of max torque with top speeds up to 1,300 RPM (rotations per minute). While this isn’t as powerful as some of the more expensive models, for the size of this drill it still packs a punch.
- Battery: This drill comes with two 2.0 Ah Lithium-Ion batteries that for the size and weight of the drill, these batteries get the job done. Overall, we felt this drill has a solid battery life that lasts long.
- Adjustable: You can enjoy up to a 3/8-inch chuck that can accommodate most normal bit. Additionally, there are two different speed settings for both delicate and quick tasks alike. Adjustable speeds range from the first of 0-350 RPMs and the second of 0-1,300 RPMs.
Bosch PS32 Best Features
- Size/Weight: Like the PS31, this drill is also a very small compact drill which is perfect for hard-to-reach areas. It comes in a little less than the PS31 at just 2 pounds in weight and slightly shorter at 6.5 inches length. You’ll love how compact and lightweight this drill is for jobs around the house or for quick fixes in the workshop/construction site. Unlike some of the larger models, this one is perfect for when you’re on the go.
- Speed: The speed of this drill ranges from 0-1,300 RPM (Rotations per minute) which isn’t ideal for commercial use, but for its size, it still has quite a bit of power for normal drilling tasks. The motor has 265 lbs of max torque which is enough to drill into most wood without any issue.
- Battery: This drill comes equipped with 2 rechargeable Lithium-Ion batteries that snap into place easily. Swap them out when one dies and you’re good to go all day working. You’ll also enjoy that this drill has a battery charge indicator light so you’ll know when it’s about to die on you so you can quickly swap them out before tackling the next job.
- Chuck/Clip Storage: The chuck on this drill has an auto lock feature which is really convenient. Quickly tighten or loosen the bit without using any tools or your hand to hold the chuck in place. You can also store the bits easily on the belt storage block on the back of the drill making it easy to store and swap the bits out when needed. This is an optional accessory that is not required to be installed on the drill based on the user’s preference.
Pros and Cons of each Device
|Bosch PS31||Compact size perfect for hard to reach places Lightweight and ergonomic design Strong long-lasting battery Adjustable speed settings LED Light built-in 3-year warranty for long-lasting protection||LED light doesn’t stay on unless drilling Chuck is made from plastic which can seem wobbly Strong drill but not designed for heavy-duty projects|
|Bosch PS32||Strong batteries that last long Adjustable speed settings up to 1,300 RPMs Auto lock chuck functionality Compact size that’s easily portable Built-in LED light||LED Light gets covered often Not designed for commercial use|
Since both of these are budget/compact models they are each born with their own great benefits and shortcomings. This is why we’ve designed this guide to help you understand each of these to help you in your decision-making process. Below are the areas in which we felt these models needed a bit of improvement.
Bosch PS31 Dislikes
- Plastic Chuck: Overall the drill feels durable, however, the chuck and most of the product is made from plastic. This isn’t necessarily a deal breaker as most people who like this model enjoy the fact that it’s so portable and light-weight. A metal chuck will often weigh down the drill more.
- Light Shut-Off: The LED light of this drill only turns on when the drill is operational unlike other drills that the light turns on when your finger is on or slightly pushing in the trigger. This means you need to trigger the drill to have the light turn on.
Bosch PS32 Dislikes
- LED Light Position: While I definitely like the fact that this affordable model comes with an LED light, the placement is a bit less than desirable. Being placed so close to the trigger, we often covered in with a finger or mistake it for the trigger itself.
- Not for Commercial Use: While this is a great drill, it is not designed for commercial use. Both the speed and battery life will not hold up on a professional setting for this drill. Since it’s designed for smaller light-weight tasks and made to be a portable compact drill, it’s important to remember that it’s not made for professional commercial projects.
Which Is Best?
Overall both of these drills from Bosch are really great for on the go projects. They each are very compact drills that are portable and lightweight making them perfect to place in your toolbox for off-site visits. They are also perfect for homeowners who aren’t looking for anything heavy-duty.
When comparing each of these drills they are very similar both in look and feel, however, when you dig deeper and look at the features/price you’ll notice there’s a bit of a difference between them.
The PS32 comes with quite a few great additional features including the fact that the LED light stays on a few seconds after you’re done drilling giving you a bit of extra light to inspect the drilled hole after completion. This is small, but it’s an added benefit. The PS32 also has an auto-lock chuck which is a really great feature that makes it simple and easy to get the bits locked into place or removed without the need to manually hold down the chuck to loosen it.
You’ll also find that the PS32 looks and feels a bit stronger than that of the PS31 in both build and strength. While they both pose the same motor/torque, the build does seem better.
This, of course, comes with a price in that the PS32 is about 30% more expensive than the PS31. So when you’re making the decision between the two if you want a few extra features and stronger build go with the PS32 as the stronger unit. If you just want a simple, easy-to-use drill that will work around the house then definitely the PS31 is an excellent choice at a more affordable price.